Saturday, June 4, 2011

Castel Sant'Angelo

Castel Sant’Angelo is definitely not a beautiful princess castel that I saw in Disney movies. However, this castel always draws my attention every time I pass by. Finally it was the time for me to go and explore the inside of this unique castel.

The first time I visited Castel Sant’Angelo it was night time so I couldn’t get into the inside of the caste. Professor Jackie, Sandy, Allan and Katie were on the way back to St. John’s from Piazza Navano and we happened to cross the bridge called Ponte Sant’Angelo right in front of the castel and we were amazed by it’s night view. We stayed there for a while taking pictures with the castel as a background.

The exploration of the inside of the castel was really interesting. First, when I entered the building I went up the long pathway to go up to one of the courtyard. When I was following the route to go up I felt like I am an archeologist exploring a pyramid. It was like a long cave. It was dark and cool. Only artificial lights were lighting the dark corridor. Contrast to the hot temperature outside, the inside of the castle was really cool. However, I couldn’t wait to get out of this long pathway. It was just too long for me.

When I finally got out of the long cave like pathway, the completely different scene of the castle surprised me. Standing up on the terrace made me feel like I am in the middle age. Small buildings around me were like middle age buildings. I don’t really know about middle age buildings but the colors of those buildings and the shape of roofs reminded me of middle age buildings.

The view from the castle was amazing. Since the hallway goes around the castel I could see the whole view of the Rome from there. The best view was looking down at the wedding cake. I was just so amazed to see the whole view of Rome from there. However, the better view of Rome was waiting for me at the top of the castel.

Before I went up to the top of the castel, I went through rooms. The rooms were really beautiful. The ceilings and walls were decorated with paintings. I think it is typical renaissance art. Those rooms were now used as a museum. There were many art works from the middle age or ancient roman period.

Finally, through the narrow corridor to the top, I arrived to the top of the castel. The view from there was just breath taking. It was really beautiful. Sandy and I decided to record a tour video of the view from the castel because there is no way I could capture the great view in one frame of picture. Also, we took a lot of picture from the top.

Inside of the Castel Sant’Angelo was different from what I expected. I expected it to be more have aspects as the mausoleum of Hadrian. However, it was more like the medieval castle. I really enjoyed my time there, I felt like I am walking down streets of medieval time.

* Also, I couldn’t forget the weird disgusting small soda that I bought for 3 euros.

No comments:

Post a Comment