Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Mi Piace Cane

This sculpture of dog, Cane, is not an artwork that most of visitors would pay attention compared to those other great artwork in Capitoline museum. However, my affection toward dogs still strongly exists in Rome and that made me to look at more closely to the sculpture.

There were other artworks related to dogs but the reason this sculpture of dog draw my attention is because of its sophisticated details of a dog.

Cane is located at the horti of Ancient Rome. Despite the fact that it is from ancient Rome, the sculpture is really well preserved. The sculpture is made out of greenish marble and has very smooth space. The shape of dog is very realistic although the size of dog is bigger than actual size of dogs. Maybe, St. Bernard might be the same size with this sculpture. Each part of Cane’s body is carved in detail, which embosses the realistic of the figure as a dog. I can see that the dog is muscular like other ancient Roman statues of human figures. Also, the dog is very fit like those statues of ancient Rome.

The way the dog is sitting is very imposing with its muscular figure. Probably it is because the sculpture of dog is used to be located in front of the house as a guard dog. However, at the same time the dog’s face looks very loyal. It is really interesting contrast because the way it is sitting looks like it is going to attack me at any time but the face of this dog looks like “I am ready to obey your order.” Especially, those eyes that are looking up at me reminds me of my dog.

1 comment:

  1. Nicole,

    Given that you are a design artist, your eye for detail serves you well here. I especially enjoyed the personal touch you added with the comparison to your own dog.

    Since you are still working on your English, you have some challenges to overcome. One of them is the proper use of the article "the" with the preposition "of." Since "dog" is a common noun, you should always write, "of the dog" and not simply "of dog."

    The last paragraph needs some work in terms of its flow and articulation. Here is the original:

    "The way the dog is sitting is very imposing with its muscular figure. Probably it is because the sculpture of dog is used to be located in front of the house as a guard dog. However, at the same time the dog’s face looks very loyal. It is really interesting contrast because the way it is sitting looks like it is going to attack me at any time but the face of this dog looks like 'I am ready to obey your order.' Especially, those eyes that are looking up at me reminds me of my dog."

    Here is the paragraph again with some light editing:

    "The dog, with its muscular figure, sits in a very imposing manner. Probably it is because it used to be located in front of the house as a guard dog. However, the dog’s face looks very loyal. The contrast is interesting: the dog looks like it is going to attack me at any time but in its face it looks ready to obey my orders. The eyes looking up at me remind me of my dog."

    This last version is just a little cleaner, with some of the extraneous words taken out. This kind of editing is probably more of an art than a science, but you can do it with practice.

    8/10

    ReplyDelete