Saturday, May 14, 2011

Profumo di Roma

Of course, I could not sleep last night! I was too excited that I had finally stepped foot into the ancient city I had been studying this whole semester. Although my eyes were tired, I could not take my contact lenses out because I had to wear my sunglasses under this gorgeous sunlight! Today’s weather and this sunlight especially reminded me of California, even though the smell of Rome was different. Every time I travel to a new place, I smell the unique scent created by the atmosphere of the city... Hmmm… Can’t wait to go out there and find out more about the unique scent of Rome!

“Nicole! Let’s go!” Shannon said.

I replied, “Oh! Okay! I am ready!”

My roommate Shannon just woke me up from my daydreaming about the city. Yes, it’s finally time to start our journey! Shannon and I went to the foyer of St. John’s to meet our group.
When I went there I saw that everyone was excited about our first day. Their voices were full of excitement. There I saw Sandy talking intensely about where she wanted to go today to Melissa and Allan.

“Guys! Where are we going today?” I asked.

“Of course you didn’t look at the itinerary, Suchin,” said Allan with that judging face.

“Hey, Nicole, we are going to the Forum Romanum, your favorite forum!” Melissa said.

“Oh, there’s a Gelato place we can go on the way there!” Sandy said with exciting voice.

As we arrived at the Forum Romanum, I couldn’t believe the fact that this place felt very familiar. Probably it looked familiar because of the intense stud about the structures that I did a couple weeks ago for retakes of midterm. I guess taking retakes pay off here, where I know every structure I pass by!

“Shannon! There’s temple of Julius Caesar.”
“Oh my god, Shannon, that’s the Curia Julia.”
“Can you believe that we are walking down the Sacra Via?”

I continuously shouted the names of the structures at Shannon and I could see her smiling back at me. I was just too excited to see the actual structures that I only learned about from pictures. I was amazed by the magnificent atmosphere of the forum. Although many structures were destroyed, I could still feel the grandness it had during the Republican and Imperial eras.

As we were going back to St. John’s, I couldn't believe what I had experienced and seen. I was still excited. Tomorrow would be another day of full of excitement, and I wouldn’t be able to sleep well tonight again, because I would be far too excited

No comments:

Post a Comment