Sunday, May 29, 2011

Adventure to Campo di' Fiori

Although, I only have been in Rome for seven days Campo de’ Fiori became my favorite place. The first time I went to Campo de’ Fiori was on the second day of this trip and as soon as I saw this place it became my favorite place in Rome. Campo de’ Fiori is a very lively place through out a day and also around this area is less touristy area so I could see how locals live in the city.

I would like to call Campo de’ Fiori as a maze. If I was not going with Jackie I would never be able to get out of those narrow streets and never be able to find the piazza. Although I was going with Jackie when I was going to the piazza for the first time, I still feel like this is a maze. Buildings in Campo de’ Fiori are narrowly located to each other so we were constantly walking narrow streets and these are not even straight streets. So, once I starting walking down Campo de’ Fiori I am in a maze of buildings to find the piazza. Although I have been to Campo de’ Fiori several times, this is still a maze and I am following the route that I know as if after you solve a maze all you see in the maze is the correct route to find the ending area.

My favorite part of the place is the market place. Stalls in the market place are selling various products. They sell FRESH fruits, vegetables, oils, pasta noodles as well as clothes, flowers and souvenirs. Fruits and vegetables are really fresh here. Especially, the fruits here smell so sweet and the smell led me to the fruits and before I knew it I was paying for my cherries. However, the market closes in the afternoon around 2 p.m.

Other than the market place, small cafes surround the piazza. Near the fountain area, there is a pizza store. It was more like to-go pizza place so the pizza was cheap. However, the taste of this pizza was not at all a cheap pizza! It was just really good although it was not a hot pizza. The combination of cheese, prosciutto and fresh basil was just perfect. I couldn’t believe this was less than two euro. I cannot remember this place’s name but this is the must go place.

There are art galleries, clothes stores, small restaurants and other various stores on the narrow streets of Campo de’ Fiori. On the 3rd day, Guerry, Jovany, Liz and I had lunch at a restaurant on one of those narrow streets. It was very exciting to eat on the narrow street and see people passing by us. There are many clothes stores attract my eyes.

Nighttime at Campo de’ Fiori is very different from the morning or afternoon. All the cafes that surround the piazza turn into bars. A lot of young people gather at the monument to Giordano Bruno and drink. This is the time when Italian guys’ eyes get really busy staring at every attractive girl passing them. Since a lot of American students are studying here it is very usual to see signs to attract Americans to their clubs or bars.

My adventure to Campo de’ Fiori has not ended yet because there are streets and structures that I have not discovered. So, my journey to Campo de’ Fiori will be continued and it will be more magical place to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment