Thursday, June 9, 2011

Keats and Shelly museum

I am not really into poetry. I prefer reading fictions or watching movies. Also before I visited Keat and Shelley’s museum I have never read their works. However, after visiting Keat and Shelley’s cemetery I thought I should go visit there museum especially the museum is located near when I am staying. Also, the fact that Shelley’s wife wrote Frankenstein.
Keat and Shelley’s museum is located at Piazza Spanga and right next to the Spanish steps. It’s a small museum. The museum was donated on the apartment, which Keat lived until his death. In order to get into the museum, first I went up to the bookstore to buy a ticket. Then I went up to the third floor where the museum is. When I went up to the museum, a cute guy was waiting for me to collect the ticket. What a great way to start looking around a museum!
Bookshelves were covered the entire wall of the museum except Keat’s room. It was very interesting to see so many books in the museum. However, considering that Keat’s and Shelly were both writers, it was an appropriate way to decorate a museum dedicated to the writers.
I first started my journey from Keat’s gallery. There were Keat’s first edition publication, letters and his poetry works. Also, there were portraits of him and his lover. Also, there was a drawing or tracing of the Sosibios Vase in the Louvre that he drew. I was very impressed that he also can draw really well. It was a really detailed and well-drawn drawing.
I liked Keat’s room. His room was small but the view from his room was the Spanish steps and I thought this is really cool. The original furniture in Keat’s room were burned away after he died of tuberculosis and the Vatican decided to destroy his furniture. Therefore, current furniture in his room are not original but according to the museum it’s supposed to be very close to what it was should be.
There was another room filled with Shelley and Byron’s work. Honestly I didn’t really looked at what’s in the room. The weirdest things that I saw at the museum were the locks of Shelly, Keats and Hunt’s hair. According to the museum it was common for friends to exchange locks of hair as tokens of affection in the 19th century. However, I still thought that it is still weird to keep friend’s hair as tokens of affection.
Another strange thing I saw at the museum was the urn contains of Shelley’s jawbone. This just made me wonder why would someone want to keep dead person’s jawbone and why it had to be the jawbone.
According to the museum guy the most of books in the museum are Byron’s work. When Harry Nelson donated the museum, he mostly donated Byron’s work and made the museum also a library. When I was in the museum, I really felt like I am in the library instead of in the museum. If the museum was free, I would go to the museum and just sit there and read books.

No comments:

Post a Comment