Saturday, June 4, 2011

Space and Place: Vatican Museum

In Vatican Museum there is no freedom to create my own exploration route for the museum. You just need to follow where the crowds are going because the museum is packed.

Everyone talks about Sistine chapel in the museum. However, in order to reach Sistine Chapel you have to go through different rooms. The first room I visited was the room with ancient Roman sculptures. As I mentioned earlier the museum is very crowded at any place, so I had to skim through the sculptures. The interesting fact that I realized: naked statues of male figures’ genital areas were awkwardly covered with leaves. The amount of sculptures they have in the museum kind of overwhelmed me because I felt like the sculptures are jammed together in the room.

The best part of museum for me was the corridor with beautiful paintings on the every part of wall and really big and old textiles. I loved the corridor. I couldn’t stand as long as I wanted because of crowd but I was just mesmerized by looking at it.

Sistine Chapel was just really packed with people. There’s no way I could look at its artwork in any direction. However, still it was really beautiful.

Exploring Vatican Museum was like doing a quick tour. There were too many people in the museum that made me just want to get out of the place. Yes, of course I am regretting that I did not enjoy the museum. However, I wish there is a way I can use the museum space more efficiently to appreciate its great artworks.

No comments:

Post a Comment