Thursday, June 9, 2011

LAST

What would happen if I visited Rome without the knowledge of all these important structures in Rome? Probably I would have not enjoyed the city as much as I did during my two weeks of staying in Rome. Well, I don’t think it was just not the ancient ruins or the churches that fascinated me in the city. There are so many other things that made me love the city and still I miss the city.
The first day when I arrived in Rome, I did not believe that I could be able to travel around the city by myself. However, as I stayed in Rome more and more I felt like being in Rome is so natural and I wanted to pretend like I am a citizen of Rome. I remember my solo trip to Campo de’ Fiori and to a shoe store. I was a bit scared to go to Campo de’ Fiori because the place is a maze to me. However, I wanted my own time separated from my friends. Also, I wanted to find my secret places to go shopping. As soon as I arrived to Campo de’ Fiori I bought a cup of tiramisu at the famous pastry shop and stared to explore the place. I found a few great clothing stores and I promised myself to come back to the stores and buy some clothes. Then, I walked along the narrow streets of Campo de’ Fiori hoping to find my way back to St. John’s. I was kind of scared because I thought I might not be able to go back to the campus if I don’t find my way out of this place. However, at the same time I was excited to be in a place like a maze and to look for my exit. It was a new experience I have never had. Also, when I was looking for a shoe store I had the address of the store and a map to the place. I was finding the place by myself while I was looking at the map. I got lost several times. I passed the street where I was supposed to turn left. Eventually, I could not find the place. Reading a roman street map was harder than what I expected. After I gave up on finding that store and came back to St. John’s I decided to award myself a cup of cappuccino and a chocolate croissant for attempting to find a place by myself and get frustrated in the middle of a street where I have never been.
The morning coffee and a chocolate croissant was my favorite thing in Rome. I always loved to go to the cafĂ© near St. John’s. I had my first Italian coffee there and I fall in love eating cream croissants with a cup of cappuccino at that place. Drinking coffee standing on the counter was such a new experience. When I was buying coffee in the states, I will go to the coffee store, which is usually Starbucks. Probably I will do drive thru because it’s more convenient. I will as for a grande Americano and ask for cream and sugar. However, in Rome I follow the Roman rule. I go up to the counter and order what I want to drink or eat and pay. In return the cashier gives me the receipt. I will bring the receipt to the counter and try to have an eye contact with the barista. When the barista sees me he or she tears up the side of the receipt and makes my coffee. The moment of waiting for my coffee is always exciting because so far I all the coffee I had in Rome never disappointed me. Also, drinking coffee and eating a croissant are the perfect combination. You never go wrong with these in Rome!
The other thing I can forget about the experience I had was walking down Tiber River at night. Tiber River during daytime is also pretty but the color of the river is not that clean. However, the view of river was really pretty especially the light lit up for the bridges. One night when Professor Jackie, Sandy, Allan, Katie and I walked back from the Piazza Navona we walked along the river. It was really beautiful and for a while we just stayed there and looked at the bridge. It was one of the most wonderful experiences I had in Rome. It became a really romantic and unforgettable memory.
Experiencing Roman life for two weeks was like a dream and it came by too fast. I miss Rome and I think I was so lucky to share this Romantic Roman life with such a good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment